Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Starting the Smokies

So, I'm sitting in some fancy lobby of this Lodge at Fontana Dam, the start of the Smokies.  I sort of randomly ended up here.  Stryder and I were trying to hitch into town for our resupply, and this is where we got dropped off.  Turns out, they had a buffet breakfast, so I hit that up.  Then another hiker bought me a very strong screwdriver.  There are a few other very hungover hikers here, and nobody has made very much progress toward getting to the trail yet.

Yesterday I did an 18 mile day because we really wanted to stay at the Fontana Hilton.  It's a huge, really nice shelter with a 24 person capacity.  There were free showers, restrooms, and lots of benches.  You never get that at shelters, so it was worth the hike. 

I stayed at the NOC a few nights ago.  They had bunks in the cabins for hikers to sleep on.  I spent way to much money at the outfitter because I needed a new pack cover.  Mine was too small.  Pack covers are normally $25, but I had to pay $45.  I guess the prices are higher because its the peak of the season and the outfitter was right on the trail. 

Coming out of the NOC was an 8 mile uphill, which sucked.  But I have a 9 mile uphill to look forward to today.  It's hard to get into the Smokies, but once you're up there, apparently its all ridge walks with awesome views.  Ridge walking just kind of means you're high up in the mountains and you hover up there.  You don't have to go all the way up and down every mountain.

So, I've been getting these awful T-shirt tan lines, and I wanted to get a tank top so it wouldn't be so bad.  Stryder found an abandoned tank top at a shelter for me.  It's the right size, but its cotton and it kind of smells bad.  But I guess beggars can't be choosers.  It'll do for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment