Thursday, March 29, 2012

First Week

Ok, so I've had an awesome first week on the trail.  The Wolf Pack and I covered 53 miles.  Monk and Thumper (or Trey and Foreman) hit their personal 100 miles on the AT mark.  Ruth got the name Inch Worm, and Dana became Trooper.  We met some pretty cool people.  We also celebrated Monk's birthday with fire roasted cinnamon rolls and my trail calzones. 

We had rain for about 3 days straight, so we spent a lot of time being cold and wet.  Every time our clothes, tents, and sleeping bags would dry out it would just rain again.  It wasn't too miserable though.  We came across some trail magic on one cold day and got to sit under a tent.  I don't mind the rain too much.  I keep telling myself it's the trails way of weeding out the people that aren't gonna make it.  I think there's a phrase: No rain, no Maine.

A few days ago, I crossed the border into North Carolina.  It was kind of funny, because there was a huge group of hikers sitting on a rock by the sign.  No one said anything to me as I hiked up, then when I crossed the border, everyone started cheering.  I joined them on the rock, and we did the same for the next few hikers.

I also hit the100 mile mark, so that was exciting.  My friend Stryder came out to the trail and is hiking the Smokies with me.  I also met a cool group of boys from Long Island I've been hiking with. 

No comments:

Post a Comment