Monday, May 14, 2012

The Hiker Slump

Everyone on the trail is currently experiencing what I call "the hiker slump".  This isn't the Virginia Blues because we're not far enough into the state to be sick of it yet.

This hiker slump comes from having already hiked over 600 miles and being very used to the routine of the trail.  We have started spending too much money, drinking too much beer, and spending too many days in town.  It's hard to tell how long it will last.  I'm currently trying to pull myself out of the slump, but my theory is that others will remain in this slump until the end of Virginia or until they check their bank statements.  I think Trail Days this weekend will only worsen it for some.

I'm hoping we get out of this pattern soon, so we can continue to Maine.  A ridiculous amount of people have already dropped off the trail, so on the positive side, its a big accomplishment that we're even still on the trail.

2 comments:

  1. Just keep walking, Hashbrown! From now until Harper's Ferry you will see a lot of slumping and dropping out - Virginia is a killer. Keep your spirits high, keep up the good work and stay on the trail!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You can do it Hashie! I have confidence you can! Sending good Girl Scout camping vibes your way!

    Itchy

    ReplyDelete