Thursday, March 1, 2012

2 Weeks and Counting

OK, so I've decided to start a personal blog section.  I'll be leaving for the trail in about 16 days.  I'm riding to Georgia with a few friends that will be on spring break from Ohio State.  We'll start at Springer Mountain, and they'll be hiking with me for about a week.

Trey and Foreman (or Monk and Thumper) did Georgia with me last year, but two of the other girls in the group haven't done it yet.  Anyway, I need to hike that section again to technically consider it a thru-hike.  I'm pretty excited that I get to spend my first week on the trail with friends from college.  I'm also happy that we decided not to hike the Approach Trail again.  We did it last year, and it was brutal.  I do have to stop at Amicolola Falls State Park though to register as a thru-hiker.

As far as my gear goes, I'm pretty prepared.  I have my base weight around 20 pounds, which is good considering my tent alone weighs 5 pounds.  I'm using a 2-person Marmot tent that I love.  I do have a 1-person tent that isn't very sturdy, and I didn't feel like forking over the money for a new tent.  I think after the first part of the trail, when the crowd starts thinning out, I'll just mail my tent home and get a tarp.  I prefer sleeping in shelters anyway.

I also got a new pack.  I upgraded to the Osprey Aura 65 in Eggplant Purple.  It's really comfortable, it has a mesh back, and the hip belt and back panel adjust.  It is a little small though.  I pack light, so it's not a big issue.  My only thing is that I like to keep all my gear, including my sleeping pad, on the inside of my pack.  Sadly, I have to strap my sleeping pad to the outside of my pack now.  I also switched to a Platypus hydration reservoir, instead of just using water bottles.  I'm hoping that I'll drink more water when I don't have to get my water bottle out every time I want a drink.

Now all I really have to do is buy food for the first few days of the trip and mentally prepare myself.  I think the mental preparation will be the most difficult.  I've been living with my parents for the past few months, and I'm a substitute teacher and a freelance writer.  So I don't have to worry about quitting my job or moving out of my apartment or anything.  I just have to adjust to living in the woods for 5 months at a time.  I think it will be one of those things that doesn't really hit me until I'm on the trail.  I'm mostly excited though.

No comments:

Post a Comment